Thursday 2 February 2012

Movie nerd

I mentioned not long ago that every year I try and watch all the big Oscar contenders ahead of the ceremony.

This year there are 9 Best Picture nominees, and, as of yesterday, I just have one left to watch:

The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
Warhorse

I have to admit that of the eight I've seen so far, I'm very much rooting for the Artist. I also have a soft spot for the Help - partly because it's jolly nice to see a completely female-dominated film do so well, and partly because Allison Janney rocks (C.J? Hello!)

I couldn't help noticing, though, that if animals were eligible in the acting categories, Meryl, George and co. might have some competition on their hands. Uggie, the Jack Russell in the Artist? Steals the show, fo sho. Sasha Baron Cohen's Doberman in Hugo? The horse in Warhorse? I mean, come on, the film is actually named after him! Charlize Theron's fluffy lapdog in Young Adult? And as for the Jack Russell in Beginners, don't even get me started on the cuteness...

According to my mother, source of all useless knowledge, the Academy had to make dogs ineligable back in the day to stop Rin Tin Tin sweeping the board at the expense of the pesky humans. I say reverse the dog rule - I want to see Uggie's acceptance speech!

0 comments:

Post a Comment