Monday 4 April 2011

The List

I celebrated my birthday in Amsterdam with my lovely birthday twin friend a couple of months ago. She's getting married crazily soon, and is a year older than me. And we got to talking about all the things we wanted to achieve in life.

Not the 'get married, have babies, buy a house, invest in some antique furniture and get a puppy' kind of things. Although I really would like a puppy.

The kind of things that you might look back on at a later point, and regret not having done, even if, at the time, they seemed totally irresponsible/foolhardy/financially unwise/random (delete as appropriate).

And thus The List  (caps are obligatory) was born. It's not a bucket list, the whole 'things to do before you die' thing sounds awfully permanent, and I'm not ready to shuffle off this mortal coil just yet.

It's just 30 things I'd like to do before I'm 30. Some of them are travel-based: go to Berlin, visit New York, do the Trans-Siberian railway.

Others are little challenges for myself, like learning to dive, taking up a new sport, and going to a life drawing class.

Some are just, well, random - spend the night camping on a beach and go skinny-dipping (I did that, many moons ago - it's one of the most amazing memories I have of being a teenager). Hit the town with my siblings for the first time.

And some are private.

But I'm already making progress - I've ticked off a couple in the last couple of months, and it's mightily satisfying scoring a line through one of my goals. I'm hoping LA is going to help me achieve a few more...

As for the lovely birthday twin friend, she got distracted from her list-making by her fear of flying, so I still need to bully her into joining me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment