Thursday 21 March 2013

Caketastrophe

It was bound to happen at some point.

None of my recent baking efforts have been perfect, but none of them have been unqualified disasters either.

Until now. Behold, the world's most lopsided chocolate cake with fleur de sel caramel filling.






















I found the recipe here and then decided to save some time and just use Trader Joe's fleur de sel caramel instead of making the filling myself. 

That part went fine. In fact, it all went pretty well to begin with...


It was the actual baking that proved problematic. Batch #1 ended up with one of the cake layers totally disintegrating as I turned it out of the pan. I put the second layer back into the oven for a few extra minutes (which it definitely needed) and then halved the recipe and tried again.

Batch #2 worked out ok until it was time to stack the cake layers, when it, too, fell apart. Cue me, wielding a spatula and a giant bowl of icing, frantically trying to stick bits of cake back together again and smooth over the giant moon-like craters.

There are no photos of that. I was busy trying to avert a nervous breakdown. 

Oh well. It tasted fine. And I suspect that even one of my more impressive attempts at confectionery would have been overshadowed by the cake one of the other guests had made. Turns out he's a professional chef with a penchant for infusing things and layering jelly into his cakes. It was INCREDIBLE.

There are no photos of that, either. I was too busy stuffing my face with uber-cake.

So please enjoy another picture of the disaster cake, instead.





0 comments:

Post a Comment