Wednesday 6 February 2013

Wino forever

I'm going to preface this by admitting that this is basically a post about pretty much nothing. Just some idle musings as I watch TV instead of doing the six million other chores I should be getting on with...



I love Girls (apart from Jessa. She annoys the hell out of me). Season two's kicked off here in Yankland - Bring on the awkward sex scenes, the naked cupcake eating and the insane Jessa costumes.

But lest we forget, Lena Dunham isn't the first person to hone in on the epic struggles of the middle-class college graduate.


Ethan and Winona got there first.

Or more accurately, Ben Stiller did - he made Reality Bites back in 1994 - a group of slightly pretentious, idealistic graduates working out what they want from their careers and love lives. And Wino's little pixie cut, Ethan's greasy indie locks and Janeane Garofolo's bizarre-length fringe will never fail to rock my world.

I might be biased. Ever since Mermaids I've been a tiny bit obsessed with Winona Ryder and those big doe eyes and air of fragility and general mastery of Jo March-ness in Little Women. Lena Dunham's great and all, but has she acted opposite Cher? I don't think so.

Although, to be fair, Reality Bites did lack a skirtless girl scampering around Brooklyn after accidentally smoking crack. So, you know, there's that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment